These coconut brownies are a house favorite. They are relatively low fat, but still rich, indulgent, and delicious! The recipe is very forgiving, so you can use whichever type of flour you have on hand or fits your dietary needs. Rice flour is our favorite to use for gluten-free brownies! Brown or white works seamlessly.
Peanut Butter Brownies – Replace the coconut with 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
Peanut Butter Coconut Brownies – Our personal favorite! Add 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter with the coconut. Use the full 1/2 cup of coconut, or reduce it to 1/4 cup.
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally nut-free.
- ¼ cup light olive oil or Earth Balance Shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour*
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- ¼ to ½ cup dairy free semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 8x8 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine oil or shortening, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in eggs. Add flour, cocoa, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Stir in coconut.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the top.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.