This easy recipe is from Debra’s Natural Gourmet Newsletter (November 2005 with a repeat appearance in the 2008 Thanksgiving newsletter). Debra runs a wonderful natural food store and cooking classes in Concord, MA and she is the creator of Stark Sisters Granola.
This is an easy dessert to make for your holiday table! Isn’t that a relief? What’s more, this makes a terrific breakfast dish served together with yogurt, kefir or milk (of any kind).Why eat cranberries? Studies show cranberries have anticancer properties, inhibit growth of food-borne pathogens, and contain antibacterial properties to aid in the prevention of urinary tract infections. Oats, known scientifically as Avena sativa, have so many attributes we don’t have room to list them! We all know they’re chock-full of cholesterol-lowering fiber.
- 4 pounds organic cranberries
- 2 cups honey*
- 3 cups organic rolled oats
- 1-1/2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour*
- 3 cups Sucanat or Rapadura*
- 1-1/2 cups macadamia nut oil*
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- more macadamia nut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Stir cranberries DRY in a pot until they pop, and then a minute longer. Yes, stir them DRY! When cranberries have popped, turn off flame, add honey and let sit while preparing oat mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, pastry flour, Sucanat or Rapadura, macadamia nut oil and cinnamon until everything is crumbly. I use my hands because it feels good and as an added bonus while making dessert, doing so makes the skin on hands smoother too! Natural multi-tasking!
- Grease pan with an extra tablespoon-full of macadamia nut oil. Spread one-third the oat mixture in bottom of the pan, cover with cranberry mixture, top with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Try coconut palm sugar or agave (for vegan) instead of sugar and honey.
Use whatever flour you like instead of whole wheat pastry flour; use a nut flour like almond or try your favorite gluten-free flour blend.
Instead of macadamia nut oil (we have bottled and in a bulk tub), use whatever oil you have and want to use.