Decorator Icing for Cookies
- 2 large egg whites or 3 ounces pasteurized egg whites
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or other flavoring of your choice (optional)
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the egg whites and extract/flavor (if using) and beat until frothy using an electric mixer.
- Add powdered sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny.
- Turn speed up to high and beat until the mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add food coloring, if desired.
- Thin with water to desired consistency.
- For immediate use, transfer icing to pastry bag or zip top plastic bag and pipe as desired. If using plastic bag, clip corner to create tip.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.