This English Digestive Biscuits recipe was shared with us by friend of Go Dairy Free, Betty-Baker.
These English Digestive Biscuits have the classic hearty taste and the perfect snappy, crisp texture. Enjoy with an afternoon cuppa!
Special Diet Notes: English Digestive Biscuits
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup shortening
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk beverage, cold
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cut or rub in the butter with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips.
- Add the sugar and enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Knead this mixture on a flour surface until smooth. All this can be done almost instantly in a food processor.
- If you have time, return the dough to your bowl, cover and chill for an hour. This resting time will make the biscuits more tender and crisp.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough until it is a bit more than ⅛ inch thick, and cut into any desired shape. Traditional digestives are about 2½ inches round.
- Place on greased cookie sheets, prick evenly with a fork and bake until pale gold, about 15 to 20 minutes.