Special Diet Notes: Wheat Shortbread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 ounces dairy-free margarine
- 2-1/2 ounces pale muscovado sugar
- 2 ounces polenta or coarse corn meal or 2 ounces ground almonds (use cornmeal for nut-free)
- 4o ounces plain wheat flour or gluten/wheat-free plain flour
- grated rind 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 325ºF.
- Beat the butter or spread with the sugar until soft and light. Add the polenta or almonds, the flour and the lemon rind and mix them lightly with your fingers. Press out into the bottom of a baking tray, approximately 2cm deep.
- Bake for 25 minutes then remove and cut into biscuit shapes. Return to the oven for a further 5–10 minutes then cool before re-cutting and removing carefully with a spatula.