Special Diet Notes: Homemade Marshmallows
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1¼ cups water, divided
- 4 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dust a 9x9 inch square dish generously with confectioners' sugar.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together white sugar, corn syrup and ¾ cup water. Heat to 250 to 265 degrees F (121 to 129 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a rigid ball.
- While syrup is heating, place remaining water in a metal bowl and sprinkle gelatin over the surface. Place bowl over simmering water until gelatin has dissolved completely. Keep in a warm place until syrup has come to temperature. Remove syrup from heat and whisk gelatin mixture into hot syrup. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks. Continue to beat, pouring syrup mixture into egg whites in a thin stream, until the egg whites are very stiff. Stir in vanilla. Spread evenly in prepared pan and let rest 8 hours or overnight before cutting.