This recipe for honey almond cake was shared with us by Eileen Goltz, the author of Perfectly Pareve. For more great Passover recipes by Eileen, enjoy this Mushroom Schnitzel, Super Duper Olive Spread, Vegan Winter Squash with Apricot Stuffing, and Braised Lamb Shanks in Orange Sauce.
Special Diet Notes: Honey Almond Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For a gluten-free honey almond cake, use gluten-free matzo, which can be ground or crushed into meal.
- 1 cup honey
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup matzah cake meal
- 1 cup matzah meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In a saucepan, combine the honey, water, sugar and lemon juice. Stir over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil one minute. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13x9-inch metal baking pan.
- Finely grind the almonds and ½ cup sugar in a food processor; transfer to medium bowl.
- Whisk in the matzah cake meal, matzah meal, cinnamon and allspice.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and remaining 1½ cups sugar in large bowl until very thick and pale in color, about 10 minutes.
- Beat in the oil and lemon peel. Fold in almond mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cut the hot cake into 32 squares; leave in pan. Drizzle cooled syrup over.
- Let stand until the syrup is absorbed, at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. This can be made two days ahead.
- Cool, cover and store at room temperature.