Special Diet Notes: Honey Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
Honey Cake for the New Year
This is a favorite recipe from the Levana Cooks newsletter, created for the Jewish New Year. Levana Kirschenbaum is the author of the cookbooks, Levana Cooks Dairy-Free! and Levana’s Table: Kosher Cooking for Everyone.
Author: Levana Kirschenbaum
Serves: 1 cake
- 3 cups unbleached flour (whole wheat pastry or spelt just as good)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup very strong warm tea (2 tea bags steeped in 1 cup hot water)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the first set of ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor beat the eggs with the sugar, the honey and the oil.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the tea, pulsing each time 2-3 times, only until combined, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour into a greased tube pan.
- Bake 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert the cake onto a rack and let cool.