This strawberry and chocolate sundae recipe was shared with us from the May 2009 issue of Foods Matter, a print and e-magazine for living with food allergies and intolerances. They used this recipe as an opportunity to sample the ice creams, chocolates and cereals in their monthly tasting supplement with some early English strawberries!
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry and Chocolate Sundae
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2–3 scoops dairy-free vanilla ‘ice cream’
- 3–4 strawberries
- 1oz dairy-free chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier, Cointreau or brandy
- 1 teaspoon crunchy granola – or chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- Scoop the ice cream into the bottom of a tall goblet or sundae glass and arrange the strawberries over the top.
- Melt the chocolate over hot water or in a microwave for 40–60 seconds then carefully stir in the liqueur or brandy.
- Spoon the chocolate over some of the strawberries, leaving a little red peeking out.
- Sprinkle with the granola or nuts and serve at once.
20g total fat – 10g sat / 7g mono / 1g poly
40g carbohydrate of which 39g sugar
1g fibre – 77mg sodium / 0.19g salt