Sue at Living My Dream shared her successful food allergy birthday party menu with us, and it included this wonderful lemon cake filling! Use it on the Yellow Birthday Cake recipe in Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook. This recipe can also be used in place of lemon curd, which is usually loaded with butter.
Special Diet Notes: Lemon Cake Filling or Curd
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- Juice of medium lemon (3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free buttery spread
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in the water until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks, lemon juice, and zest until smooth.
- Place the pan over medium heat, and cook, while whisking, until thick and bubbly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the buttery spread. Let cool completely.
- Once completely cool, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.