Special Diet Notes: Lively Allergy-Friendly Lemon Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 – 6 oz. boxes Enjoy Life Lively Lemon Cookies
- 1-1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Agar Agar powder
- 1-1/4 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 3 tablespoon corn starch (if using arrowroot, color and clarity will change)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from two large lemons)
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- Powdered sugar to decorate finished bar
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a medium sauce pot, soak the agar agar in water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, zest the lemons and squeeze the lemon juice. Mix the cornstarch into the lemon juice to dissolve.
- When the agar agar has been soaking for 15 minutes, turn on the heat to medium high and bring to a boil, whisking gently (do not incorporate any air) to prevent it from settling at the bottom of the pot.
- Boil for about 10 minutes, or until the agar is completely dissolved. In the meantime, take each cookie and press down in the pan evenly and completely.
- Add sugar to the pot and boil again, until dissolved, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, and add the cornstarch and lemon juice mixture. Then add the lemon zest and rice milk. Whisk constantly but gently, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. It must come to a boil to thicken.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust, let cool for 20-30 minutes, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, until the filling is set. Use a sifter or a fine mesh strainer to sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar just before serving (the bars will absorb the powdered sugar). Slice into squares and serve.