Special Diet Notes: Meringue Kisses
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I used clear imitation to keep the white color from turning yellowish)
- Preheat oven to 225°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks.
- While the mixer is going, gradually add sugar and beat until meringue becomes stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe kisses of meringue, 1 inch apart, onto baking sheet.
- Bake in middle of oven for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven 1 hour more.
- Using a metal spatula, transfer meringues onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Meringue kisses can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for about 5 days.