Special Diet Notes: Mini Cupcake Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For soy-free, be sure to use soy-free chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life brand.
- ½ cup canola oil, plus more for pans
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons garbanzo and fava bean flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 cup unrefined sugar or 10 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup store-bought unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup brewed coffee or hot water
- 2 cups vegan gluten-free chocolate chips, such as Tropical Source
- Preheat oven to 325°. Brush 3 dozen mini-muffin pans with oil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, potato starch, arrowroot, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder; set aside. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, ½ cup canola oil, and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in coffee until it forms a batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place 1 tablespoon batter into each prepared muffin cup. Transfer muffin pans to oven, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before unmolding.