Fall flavors and the spirit of Halloween merge in this delightful dessert shared with us by Fruit Tart. She created this luscious non-dairy pumpkin custard for a friend on a restricted diet. It consequently contains no wheat, gluten, dairy, or cane sugar. The creamy factor is made possible by eggs, which her friend can eat.
Special Diet Notes: Non-Dairy Pumpkin Custard
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 (29-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup agave nectar*
- 1 cup honey*
- 6 egg yolks
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the pumpkin, milk beverage, agave, and honey, stirring frequently, until hot and bubbly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until thick and creamy. Stir about ½ cup of the hot pumpkin mixture into the egg yolks.
- Stir the egg mixture into the pan of hot pumpkin until smooth.
- Season the custard to taste with the spices and salt.
- Continue to cook the custard over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened. Serve warm or cold.
Key Ingredients: Non-Dairy Pumpkin Custard
Can I use almond milk?? Rice milk upsets my sons stomach.
This recipe just didn’t work for me. I’m not sure if I did something wrong, but no matter how long I cooked it, the pumpkin never became a custard-like consistency. It had good flavor, but maintained the texture of pureed pumpkin.