Special Diet Notes: Orange Chocolate-Chip Vegan Biscotti
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) orange juice
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) ground flaxseeds
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) sugar
- 125 ml ( ½ cup) canola oil
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) orange zest
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 400 ml (1⅔ cups) all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) arrowroot powder
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) baking powder
- 2 ml ( ½ teaspoon) salt
- 125 ml ( ½ cup) non-dairy chocolate chips (many dark chocolate chips are dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together orange juice and flaxseeds, beating for about 30 seconds. Add sugar, oil, orange zest and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Sift in flour, arrowroot, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Just before dough comes together, add chocolate chips and use your hands to knead them into dough. Dough will be stiff.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. Form dough into a rectangle about 30 cm (12 inches) long and 10 cm (4 inches) wide. Bake for 27 to 30 minutes or until lightly puffed and browned.
- Remove dough from oven and allow to cool for 30 to 35 minutes or until very firm.
- Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 190 C (375 F).
- Once baked dough has cooled, use a heavy, very sharp knife to cut it into 18 1-cm ( ½-inch) thick slices. Do not saw or use a serrated knife. Push down with a firm, swift motion.
- Arrange biscotti on their side on baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes. Flip biscotti and bake for an additional 7 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Allow biscotti to cool for a few minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
Source: "Veganomicon" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero (Marlowe & Company, 2007).