This peanut butter and jelly ice cream is a sample recipe from The Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro. He packs 150 vegan ice cream recipes into this collection, kicking the pants off Baskin & Robbins.
Wheeler’s flavors range from the basic to the exotic. This vegan peanut butter and jelly ice cream recipe falls somewhere in between, merging your typical cool and creamy dessert with good old-fashioned childhood comfort food. It uses a combination of dairy-free creamer and peanut butter for a base that’s creamy, but not too rich.
Special Diet Notes: Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally tree nut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups (470 ml) dairy-free creamer (Wheeler uses soy creamer)
- 1 cup (235 ml) dairy-free milk beverage (Wheeler uses soymilk)
- ¾ cup (195 g) peanut butter
- ¾ cup (113 g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (240 g) jam, jelly, or preserves of preference
- In a saucepan over low heat, whisk together the creamer, milk beverage, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Once the mixture begins to boil, remove it from the heat. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate the mixture until completely cool, approximately 2 to 3 hours.
- Process the mixture according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. In the last few minutes of churning, add jam.