This peanut butter and jelly ice cream recipe is from The Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro (see my comparison post of Vegan Ice Cream Cookbooks for more details). With 150 recipes for vegan ice cream, Wheeler kicks the pants off Baskin & Robbins.
Wheeler’s flavors range from the basic to the exotic. This recipe falls somewhere in between, merging your typical cool and creamy dessert with good old-fashioned childhood comfort food.
This PB&J ice cream uses soy creamer for creaminess without being too rich (the peanut butter provides a lot of richness!). Seek out brands such as Silk, or you can substitute another type of dairy-free creamer, if preferred.
Special Diet Notes: Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian.
- 1 cup (235 ml) soymilk
- 2 cups (470 ml) soy creamer
- ¾ cup (195 g) peanut butter
- ¾ cup (113 g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (240 g) jam, jelly, or preserves of preference
- Mix soymilk, soy creamer, peanut butter, and brown sugar in a saucepan and cook over low heat. Once mixture begins to boil, remove from heat. Add vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate mixture unless chilled, approximately 2 to 3 hours. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. In the last few minutes of churning, add jam.