Special Diet Notes: Pfeffernusse (Spicy Nut Truffles)
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1⅔ cups whole (unblanched) almonds
- ⅔ cups walnuts
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Good pinch salt
- 1 egg, or a little more.
- Confectioners sugar, sifted (do not skip the sifting)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Process all ingredients except the egg until you obtain a finely ground mixture.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the egg and mix until the mixture is smooth and malleable, adding just a little more egg if necessary. Do not over-handle the mixture or you will make it greasy.
- Shape the mixture into little balls. Pour confectioners sugar over the balls, shaking out the excess.
- Place the balls on a real (not disposable) cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Bake 15 min, not a second longer.
- Let the truffles cool completely before storing in an airtight tin.