This deliciously creative pumpkin roll (along with picture) comes from Mike Eberhart, the author of “Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free Gourmet Desserts.”
Special Diet Ingredients: Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup glutinous rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup white rice flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2½ tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Dash nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (reserved for later)
- 8 ounces dairy-free cream cheese (such as Tofutti)
- 5 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, combine flours, Xanthan Gum, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, mix. Set aside for later use.
- Place eggs, sugar and oil in mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Add lemon zest, vanilla and pumpkin; mix. Add pre-mixed dry ingredients; mix. Evenly spread batter into jelly roll pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 16 minutes. While the roll is baking, take a kitchen towel (has to be as large as jelly roll pan) and lie flat on the kitchen counter. Take the ¼ cup of powdered sugar and evenly sprinkle on the towel. Once the roll is baked, turn out onto towel and begin rolling up the towel/roll. Allow to cool completely.
- Place cream cheese and butter in mixer and cream together. Add remaining ingredients; mix.
- Take completely cooled pumpkin roll and carefully unroll until flat. Take cream cheese filling and spread evenly over pumpkin roll surface. Carefully roll the pumpkin roll (without the towel) and place in refrigerator to allow the filling to set (at least 3 hours). Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll can be wrapped in foil sprayed with cooking spray (to avoid sticking). For presentation purposes, dust with powdered sugar.