This ingenious raw vegan pumpkin pie recipe comes to us courtesy of Foods Alive, purveyors of delicious handcrafted flax crackers, omega 3-rich oils and dressings, and a nice selection of raw superfoods. From Matt Alvord, founder of Foods Alive:
“With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I am sure you will have your slice of the pumpkin this fall season…and what better way would there be than to have it raw!! This recipe is one of my all time favorite desserts and I can hardly wait for the pumpkins to come out of the garden this time of year. Tammy and I always have to make at least 2 or 3 of these for any get together, and there are rarely any left-over’s!”
If you want a dessert in a hurry, you can skip some steps and enjoy the filling as a pumpkin pie pudding!
Special Diet Notes: Raw Vegan Pumpkin Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups pecans (unsoaked)
- 1 cup dates (pitted, chopped)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cacao or carob powder
- 3.5 cups cubed pumpkin
- 1 ripe avocado (peeled, seedless)
- 1.5 cups of dates (pitted)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon psyllium powder (to help thicken)
- 1 cup almonds (soaked)
- Squirt maple syrup (or agave or honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the pecans, dates, cinnamon, cacao/cocoa powder and sweetener in a food processor or high speed blender (Vitamix).
- Pulse chop until blended.
- Press into a pie pan evenly and set in the fridge.
- Chop the diced pumpkin cubes in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Transfer the pumpkin into your Vitamix and add the avocado, coconut oil, chopped dates, pumpkin spice, phyllium powder, & sweetener until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into the pie pan over the crust.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon over top.
- Set in the fridge.
- Blend the almonds, sweetener, vanilla and some water to control the consistency of the cream you want, more water for a thinner base or less for thicker. You can also add some cacao/cocoa powder to make a chocolate version, but you will need a little more sweetener.
- Everything should be ready within an hour, I like to let mine sit in the fridge for around 2 hours but anything works.