This spiced rice pudding is a delicious twist on the traditional from Vegetarian Times Magazine.
Special Diet Notes: Spiced Rice Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ¾ cup spring or filtered water
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 3 cups dairy-free milk beverage
- 3-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 6-inch strip orange rind
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Bouquet garni: 3 cardamom pods, 3 whole cloves and 1 sprig fresh mint tied in cheesecloth
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ cup unsweetened, toasted coconut, reserve 2 tsp. for garnish
- Soak raisins in ¾ cup water until plump, about 20 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine rice with 1½ cups almond milk, cinnamon stick, orange rind, salt and bouquet garni. Cover and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the almond milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add remaining almond milk and return to a simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. (At this point the rice should be creamy and most of the liquid absorbed.)
- Remove from heat, discard orange rind, cinnamon stick and bouquet garni.
- Stir in plumped raisins, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut.
- Spoon into serving cups and garnish with a sprinkle of coconut.