Special Diet Notes: Rice Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally vegan and nut-free.
- ¾ cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 cups dairy-free milk beverage (plain or vanilla)
- ½ cup honey, agave, or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup raisins or dried cherries
- Combine rice, water and salt in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 15 - 20 minutes until water is all absorbed.
- Stir in dairy-free milk and sweetener. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring often, until rice mixture starts to resemble oatmeal, approximately 30 - 40 minutes, stirring more frequently towards the end.
- Do not overcook or pudding will not be creamy when cooled.
- Remove from heat and stir in extract, cinnamon and raisins or cherries.