This rocky road bars recipe and photo are reprinted with the permission of the talented Hannah Kaminsky. Hannah is the author of the indulgent dessert cookbook, My Sweet Vegan. She also keeps a personal blog of crafts, baking and photography at Bittersweet Blog.
Special Diet Notes: Rocky Road Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- ½ cup margarine
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup mixed nuts, chopped
- ½ cup vegan caramel sauce
- ½ cup mixed nuts
- 1½ cups of vegan marshmallows, homemade or store bought, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8-inch square pan.
- In a standmixer, beat the margarine until softened and then cream in the sugar. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, salt and chopped nuts, stirring to combine. Once all of the ingredienlts are evenly dispersed and you achieve a crumbly mixture, remove ½ cup and set aside. Dump the remainder into your prepared pan and press it in with your fingers so that it fully covers the bottom in a level layer. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Meanwhile, combine the crumb mixture that you saved with the whole mixed nuts, marshmallows, and chocolate. Have this ready when the pan comes out of the oven.
- Once baked, pour the caramel over the warm bars and spread to cover. If your topping is a bit too firm to spread, microwave it for a few seconds before pouring it on. Sprinkle the mixture of sweet morsels over the top and disperse evenly, pressing them in very lightly. Bake for another 15 - 20 minutes, until the marshmallows are puffy and nicely browned. Let cool to room temperature, and chill in the refridgerator for at least 30 minutes before cutting or you will end up with one sticky [albeit delicious] mess!