These strawberry bars come from Janelle, at Brown Bag Blues:
“Well, the secret is in the sauce. We have ‘grandma’s strawberry jelly,’ which is the only kind my fourth grader will consume. No, it isn’t sugar free, not even close. In fact you would probably be mortified if (and when?) I share the recipe. Hey: at least there are strawberries in it, too.
Sugary treats aside, you can use any number of organic or sugar free jam or jelly in this recipe. These bars can be made with apricot jam, raspberry, blackberry or blueberry jelly, you name it. I should probably just call them Jam Bars. But for us and our strawberry-based nostalgia, they will forever be:”
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup flour (I use wheat)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine or butter alternative (Earth Balance should work well)
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup strawberry jam
- Butter 8x8 inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350.
- Mix everything in bowl, except jam.
- Press 2 cups of mix in pan, spread jam, sprinkle remaining mix over top.
- Lightly press down.
- Bake 25 minutes.