Toasted-Coconut Vegan Cupcakes
Author: Isa Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsps. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsps. coconut extract
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over very low heat. Once melted, turn off the heat, but leave oil in the pan on the stove, so that it stays warm but does not solidify.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together coconut milk, sugar, vanilla and coconut extract. Stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Add the flour mixture in batches, beating well after each addition. Mix until smooth, then fold in the shredded coconut.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake for 24 to 26 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Frost with Coconut-Pecan-Fudge Frosting.