Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Mayo Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, plant-based, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
Remember, most brands of mayo are milk-free, as they are an emulsion of eggs and oil, but be sure to double check the labels. For a vegan / egg-free version, I recommend trialing a vegan mayo, such as Vegenaise (my personal favorite!).
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mayonnaise (regular or vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a mixing bowl add all dry ingredients together, then add water and vanilla.
- Once that is all mixed together stir in the mayo.
- Pour into two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and let cool before frosting.