Amy B. has taste-tested many dairy-free and gluten-free products for Go Dairy Free. But one of her favorites was Pamela’s Bread Mix. She uses it to bake the bread for this dairy-free, gluten-free French Toast recipe. But you can use a store bought bread in a pinch. Brands like Canyon Bakehouse and Little Northern Bakehouse are our favorits for gluten-free, dairy-free bread. Or for truly homemade, bake up this Gluten-Free Brown Honey Bread Recipe or Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 slices gluten-free, dairy-free bread
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- Dairy-free buttery spread, for the pan and serving
- Maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your griddle or pan over medium heat.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg, egg whites, milk beverage, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Soak the bread in the batter for about 30 seconds per side.
- Melt a little buttery spread in the preheated pan and swirl it around.
- Place the dipped bread in your preheated pan and cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Serve with more buttery spread and maple syrup, if desired.