This recipe for dairy-free blackberry crostini was savory entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Carly Hanellin. She said, “I’m sixteen year old and a chef to be. I saw this competition online and really wanted to enter.” And we’re so glad she did!
And we think her recipe makes a great “sweet” option too. The balsamic and goat cheese combination are fantastic on breakfast toast. You can top it with more fruit, the sunflower seeds, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, etc.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Blackberry Crostini
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free and dairy-free crostini, toast up your favorite gluten-free bread.
- Handful of blackberries
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 8 baguette slices
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons vanilla dairy-free creamer
- Dairy-free goat cheese
- Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Put the blackberries, vinegar, and sweetener in a small saucepan and whisk to combine. Place the pan over medium heat, and cook, until the mixture reduces in half.
- Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden, about 5 minutes per side.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the seeds and toast for 5 minutes, or until toasted but not burnt.
- Once your reduction is ready, take it off the heat and whisk in the creamer.
- Spread the toasted bread with dairy-free goat cheese, sprinkle with the toasted seeds, and drizzle on the reduction. Garnish with parsley, if desired.