Whip up a short stack of these healthy golden pancakes, and we bet you’ll have a sunny disposition for the whole day! The recipe was submitted by a reader named Laura about a decade ago, but we’ve since given the post a big update. Laura uses whole grains and skips dairy, nuts, soy, and even added oil or fat. She also swaps orange juice for the buttermilk to add flavor and enhance the pretty hue. If you want to up your mineral intake, use calcium-fortified orange juice.
Special Diet Notes: Golden Sunshine Dairy-Free Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, oil-free, and vegetarian.
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat flour (can substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour + ¼ cup wheat germ or can sub just all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch ground cinnamon (see Note below)
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Grease and preheat a large griddle to medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, orange juice concentrate, water, and sugar to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix briefly. Some remaining lumps are fine. Fold in the raisins, if desired. If at any time the mixture gets too thick, or you prefer flatter pancakes, you can whisk in a little more water as needed.
- Drop ⅓ cup batter onto your prepared griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles burst around the edges of the pancakes and don’t fill back in (approximately 2 minutes). Flip and cook about another 1½ minutes, or until golden.
- If desired, serve with maple syrup or topped with a dusting of powdered sugar.