This dairy-free green beans almondine recipe is lightly adapted from the cookbook The Peaceful Palate: Fine Vegetarian Cuisine by Jennifer Raymond. We love the year round versatility of this recipe. It’s light enough to enjoy when the green bean summer harvest hits, and easy for anytime weeknight dinners. But it’s also comforting and special enough for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter holiday meals.
Special Diet Notes: Green Beans Almondine
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, oil-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup plain unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage, divided (see Milk Note below)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch (can sub non-GMO cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Steam the green beans for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a dry pan, toast the almonds over medium heat, watching carefully so that you do not burn them.
- In a saucepan, heat ¾ cup of the milk beverage over medium heat. Do not let it boil. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ¼ cup milk beverage and starch until smooth. Whisk the starch mixture into the milk beverage in your saucepan. Cook, while whisking, until the mixture thickens. Stir in the soy sauce or tamari and pepper.
- Toss the green beans with the sauce, and garnish with the toasted almonds.