This wonderfully easy grilled pineapple dessert is a bit like bananas foster, but without butter, with more spices, and with fresh pineapple instead of bananas. We originally shared this recipe over fifteen years ago, but have given it an update. It’s a naturally dairy-free, gluten-free top allergen-free, and vegan-friendly, treat for adults! If preparing for kids, you can substitute fresh pineapple juice for the rum, and perhaps add a little buttery spread to the sauce as it simmers, to bring the flavors together.
Special Diet Notes: Allergy-Friendly Grilled Pineapple Dessert
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, oil-free, vegan, plant-based, top allergen-free, and vegetarian.
For paleo grilled pineapple, you can substitute coconut sugar for the brown sugar.
- 1 fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup rum
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Peel the pineapple and cut out the center core. Slice the pineapple into 8 rings, and place them in a shallow glass dish or resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rum, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour the mixture over the pineapple, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Grill the pineapple rings for 15 minutes, turning once, or until the outside is dry and char marked.
- Pour the remaining marinade in a small pot, and simmer for a few minutes to thicken it slightly.
- Serve the pineapple with the sauce on the side, and see below for more serving options.