Nutritious, delicious, and dairy-free food need not be complicated or difficult. This healthy shrimp salad is proof. The cooked shrimp basks in a quick and easy marinade for a few hours, before tossing it all with some lovely fresh greens. You can buy pre-cooked shrimp and bagged salad – we won’t tell!
Healthy Shrimp Salad that’s too Easy to Toss Together
We have updated this healthy shrimp salad recipe, but it was originally shared with us by Cate O’Malley.
Give me a salad like this and I’ll happily eat my greens every day of the week. A tried-and-true favorite in our house, this Marinated Shrimp Salad was clipped from a Bon Appetit issue many years ago, and is ideal for both casual dinners and for when we entertain. It doesn’t take much more effort than mixing and chilling, and any home cook can handle that, be they novice or expert. It’s quick enough to be a perfect starter on a harried weeknight, yet fancy enough to whip up for special guests. My mouth is just watering thinking about making this one again … already.
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Shrimp Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and paleo-friendly.
- 2 quarts water
- 2½ pounds unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried basil (or ½ tablespoon fresh minced basil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups salad greens
- Paprika, for garnish (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or just until the shrimp turn pink.
- Drain and rinse the shrimp with cold water. Peel the shrimp and devein. Cover and place the shrimp in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, paprika, sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir in the green onions and garlic. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate the shrimp for 3 hours.
- Arrange the marinated shrimp on the salad greens, sprinkle with paprika (if desired), and serve with lemon wedges.