I discovered this simple recipe for hemp seed pesto in the Raw Power newsletter, and Thor (I love that the founder of Raw Power is named Thor!) welcomed us to share it with you. It’s the perfect sauce or condiment for spring.
Last year I was introduced to Raw Power Protein Superfood, but the company has quickly expanded beyond their own product line. They have recently introduced the Raw Power Super Store with over 500 raw food products.
Thor is a big supporter of dairy-free and raw food diets, and had the following to say:
I Am Grateful is a great book, put together by the folks at Cafe Gratitude. Lots of REAL, tried and true recipes. I chose this as recipe of the month for our newsletter because we think this is a fresh way to use nutritious and delicious hemp seeds. Yummy on salad greens, stuffed in veggies cut paper-thin to make rawviolis, or atop zucchini noodles.
Special Diet Notes: Hemp Seed Pesto
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly.
- 3 bunches basil, stems removed
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shelled hemp seeds
- Put the basil, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade. Pulse and scrape down sides of bowl until all the ingredients have reached a pretty smooth texture.
- With the motor running, add the hemp seeds. Process until smooth, or leave it a little chunky if desired.
- Store leftovers in an in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.