For one of our recipe contests in 2014, Pam Correll submitted this fun recipe for dairy-free ice cream muffins. It uses melted dairy-free ice cream for the fat, sugar, and liquid. We love this as a back up option for ice cream that accidentally melts, or that gets too icy in the freezer. Or the one that you didn’t love but don’t want to waste!
Dairy-Free Ice Cream Muffins with just Two Ingredients!
Pam used So Delicious Toasted Almond Chip Coconut Milk Ice Cream to whip up these dairy-free ice cream muffins, but that variety is no longer available. Fortunately, this recipe works with almost any flavor and type. You can even mix and match add-ins, based on the flavor you use.
That all said, low-fat frozen dessert won’t work quite as well, IMO, because muffins do need at least a little fat. As is, these muffins are relatively low in fat and sugar, even when using sugar-sweetened, coconut milk ice cream.
As for the texture, I would call these scone-ish style muffins. The batter is quite thick, so it doesn’t rise up as fluffy. You can add an egg or two if eggs are okay for you, if you want a fluffier muffin. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you aren’t alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Ice Cream Coconut Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups self-rising flour (see homemade version below)
- 1 pint (2 cups) dairy-free ice cream, softened or almost melted (see the post above for tips)
- ¼ to ½ cup add-ins, if desired (dairy-free chocolate chips, fresh or dried berries, etc)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the self-rising flour and ice cream. The batter will be very stiff. Stir in add-ins, if using.
- Divide the batter equally between the muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until they are just beginning to brown around the edges.
- Remove the muffins from the pan. Serve warm or room temperature.
Streusel Option: In a small bowl, stir together ½ cup chopped or ground nuts, ¼ cup brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter in the muffin cups before baking.
More Fun Recipes Using Dairy-Free Ice Cream
Triple Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes
Vegan Caramel Apple Crumble Ice Cream Pie
Dairy-Free Drumstick Ice Cream Cones (Nutty Buddies Copycat)
So brilliantly easy! This will be a fun recipe to make with my little nephew. Many thanks! 🙂