This dairy-free iced cocoa recipe was originally shared with us by Cate O’Malley during her days running Sugar Savvy.
I’m not afraid to admit it. I hate the heat. Really, I can’t stand it. My favorite seasons are Spring and Fall, with Summer a very distant fourth. In New Jersey, unfortunately, weather-wise we tend to bypass Spring and hurtle top-speed for Summer, so when I saw an article on Iced Cocoa in the May/June issue of Midwest Living, I knew it was going to go into heavy rotation around here. Using a cocoa concentrate, ice, flavorings and whipped toppings, it’s the perfect treat to cool you down as the temperature starts climbing.
Dairy-Free Iced Cocoa to Beat the Heat
This recipe is very simple, but you do have to source your ingredients properly. Not all hot cocoa mixes are dairy-free, but many are. See my Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Guide for loads of options. Or you can make your own to have on hand for iced cocoa emergencies. This Homemade Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix is easy, affordable, and shelf-stable.
Most syrups are dairy-free, but believe it or not, some do contain dairy! Consult my Guide to Dairy-Free Syrups & Sauces for all of your beverage needs.
Special Diet Notes: Iced Cocoa
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just make sure you source ingredients that suit your dietary needs.
- 1 single serving dairy-free instant hot cocoa mix (see post above)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Dairy-free milk beverage, as needed
- 1 tablespoon amaretto, Kahlua, or vanilla flavored syrup (optional; can sub ½ teaspoon of your favorite flavor extract)
- Put the hot cocoa mix in a glass measuring cup. Add the hot water and whisk until smooth. Add enough milk beverage to reach ½ cup. Add the liqueur or syrup and whisk to combine.
- Serve over ice cubes or place in a blender with ice cubes and blend until slushy.