You can whip up creamy vegan milkshakes on a whim with this quick, easy, and delicious dairy-free instant milkshake mix. There’s no ice cream or milk required!
This decadent recipe creates treats that are on par with any premium scoop shop. Yet each luxurious flavor is enriched with stellar superfood ingredients. You can enjoy the classic Vanilla, or get a little fancier with the Mint Chip, Malted Mocha, or Super Berry.
DIY Dairy-Free Instant Milkshake Mix in 4 Sweet Superfood Flavors
The base uses dairy-free coconut milk powder, so there are notes of coconut in each variety. But we think the flavors are a perfect compliment.
- Vanilla – The warm, lightly floral essence of vanilla shines through, but with a buttery, tropical, and creamy mouthfeel from the underlying coconut.
- Mint Chip – This is a pure, natural version of a classic flavor. The mint is cool and refreshing with wonderful crunchy bites from the cacao nibs. The brilliant green hue comes from the spirulina, which lends just a hint of grassiness to the flavor.
- Malted Mocha – You might just want to substitute your morning cuppa Joe with this creamy caffeinated blend. It has a mellow roasted flavor with subtle oaky notes and a “biscuit-y” vibe.
- Super Berry – The bright citrusy flavors of punchy acai and goji fruit lend a delicious tang to the light sweetness.
Ingredient Tips for Customizing Your Vegan Milkshake Mixes
Don’t let the healthy ingredients fool you. These aren’t glorified smoothies. Each flavor has a very creamy mouthfeel that melts into a wonderfully milky finish. It’s sweet, instant gratification without worry. Nonetheless, we have some information and options to help you create your perfect blend.
The Secret to Making Your Own Dairy-Free Mixes
In years past, you had to rely on store-bought mixes with questionable ingredients and potential allergen cross-contamination issues. But these days you can buy all types of pure, natural ingredients in powdered form to make your own pantry mixes.
Sweetener Options for Your Dairy-Free Milkshake Mix
BareOrganics agave inulin powder is low carb, low glycemic, and high in fiber. Consequently, it isn’t nearly as sweet as agave nectar. That’s why this recipe uses quite a bit. If you need to swap in another sweetener, choose a granulated or powdered one, and start with ½ cup. Add more, as needed, to taste.
Powdered coconut sugar (ground in a spice grinder or blender) can be a delicious option for paleo dieters, but it does add caramel-like flavor. We reserve that option for the Vanilla and Malted Mocha versions.
Use Coconut Milk Powder that’s Dairy-Free!
Most brands of coconut milk powder contain dairy (caseinate), but BareOrganics is a completely dairy-free and vegan brand. We also like that it comes in easy-to-scoop canisters that are reusable (even dishwasher and microwave-safe) and recyclable.
BareOrganics coconut milk powder can be blended with water to make coconut milk or beverage. It also makes a great dry coffee creamer, and is the perfect creamy base for this dairy-free instant milkshake mix.
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
The recipe calls for dry mint tea leaves to keep the just-add-water instructions. If you don’t have any, you can leave them out, and add peppermint extract, to taste, when you blend your milkshake up.
It’s Easy Being Green
We chose BareOrganics spirulina powder to give the Mint Chip instant milkshake mix a vibrant color and some seamless nutrition. It’s a good plant-based source of iron and other essential nutrients, like magnesium and protein. But you can swap in spinach powder for a Popeye-powered milkshake with a lighter hue.
Berry Good Choices
BareOrganics offers goji berries and goji berry juice powder. We used goji berries in the photos and some test batches, but goji berry juice powder will provide a smoother consistency. We recommend ordering the powder if you’re trying to decide. Either way, you can expect loads of antioxidants and micronutrients from the goji and acai infusions.
Brews with Benefits
You can use any coffee, but we chose BareOrganics Energy. It’s super-sustainable, very tasty, and is boosted with maca (melding with the flavor of the Malted Mocha), guarana, cordyceps mushrooms, and schisandra.
They also offer CardioCare with heart-friendly cacao, cinnamon, turmeric and ginger, and Focus with mind-boosting ginseng, ashwagandha, cinnamon and nutmeg. We haven’t tried the latter two, but the reviews on them are impressive. All three BareOrganics coffee varieties are infused with heat-stable probiotics, and I bet they would each be delicious in this dairy-free instant milkshake mix!
This post is sponsored by BareOrganics, the superfood specialists! Their products are Certified Organic, Natural, Chemical-Free,and Non-GMO. They are also freeze-dried at low temperatures to preserve the integrity, freshness, and nutrition of each whole food.
Special Diet Notes: Instant Milkshake Mix
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and refined sugar-free. The mixes can also be keto and paleo friendly. See the Sweetener Options in the post above.
- 2 cups dairy-free coconut milk powder (we used BareOrganics)
- 1 ½ cups agave inulin powder (we used BareOrganics; see Sweetener Options in the post above)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional, see Xanthan Gum Note)
- ½ teaspoon ground vanilla beans or vanilla powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cacao powder (we used BareOrganics)
- ¼ cup maca root powder (we used BareOrganics)
- 4 teaspoons coffee (we used ½ of a BareOrganics Energy Coffee pod)
- ¼ cup cacao nibs (we used BareOrganics)
- 2 tablespoons pure mint tea leaves (from 5 to 6 bags)
- 4 teaspoons spirulina powder (we used BareOrganics)
- To make the Master Vanilla Milkshake Mix, whisk together the coconut milk powder, agave powder, xanthan gum, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- For the Malted Maca Milkshake Mix, whisk the cacao powder, maca root powder, and coffee into the Master Vanilla Milkshake Mix until evenly distributed.
- For the Mint Chip Milkshake Mix, whisk the cacao nibs, mint tea leaves, and spirulina powder into the Master Vanilla Milkshake Mix until evenly distributed.
- For the Super Berry Milkshake Mix, whisk the acai powder, goji berries, and orange zest into the Master Vanilla Milkshake Mix until evenly distributed.
- Store the mix in an airtight container in a dry, cool place until ready to use.
- Put ½ cup of the milkshake powder, ½ cup ice-cold water, and ½ cup crushed ice in your blender. Puree on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!