This recipe was originally shared with us by a reader named Julie. She took one of her favorite Jell-O dessert recipes and made it dairy free with a simple ingredient swap. Back when she first made made it, she used a brand called Soyatoo for the whipped topping. These days, there are more brands of dairy-free whipped topping available. We like to use the tub brands for this recipe, like CocoWhip and TruWhip Vegan. Both varieties are sold frozen at natural food stores and various mainstream grocers. Look for them by the Cool Whip or with the dairy-free frozen desserts.
Photo from Kraft Foods
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Strawberry Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just be sure to use the Jell-O, pie crust, and whipped topping that suit your dietary needs.
For vegan strawberry cream pie, look for a vegan jel dessert to use in place of the Jell-O, like Simply Delish.
- 2 cups strawberries
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 1 package (4 serving size) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup very cold water
- 1 (9-ounce) tub dairy-free whipped topping (see post above)
- 1 dairy-free graham cracker crust (gluten-free, if needed)
- Slice half of the strawberries and chop the other half of the strawberries.
- In a large bowl, stir together the boiling water and gelatin for 2 minutes.
- Add the cold water and stir until slightly thick.
- Fold in the whipped topping until combined. Stir in the chopped strawberries.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes or until very thick.
- Spoon the mixture into the crust and even it out.
- Refrigerate the pie for 3 hours or until firm.
- Top the pie with the sliced strawberries to serve.