This dairy-free kiwi smoothie is a simple blend that’s nourishing, lightly creamy, and refreshing. Kiwis lend a slightly astringent taste to drinks, but are balanced by the orange, banana, and tofu in this recipe! And they’re also in season right now. In North America, kiwis and oranges are at their peak in cooler months.
Maximizing Micronutrients in this Dairy-Free Kiwi Smoothie Recipe
Here’s why we love every ingredient in this dairy-free kiwi smoothie.
- Kiwi is an excellent source of vitamin C, but it also contains phytonutrients that protect our DNA from damage. Studies have also shown this fruit might be protective against asthma symptoms, macular degeneration, and cardiovascular issues.
- Bananas are high in vitamin B6, vitamin C, and several other vitamins and minerals. Many people argue that bananas aren’t that high in potassium, but a banana-a-day cured my chronic calf cramps! Bananas are also a natural source of prebiotics. So you might want to sprinkle some dairy-free probiotic powder into your dairy-free kiwi smoothie for extra digestive benefits.
- Orange Juice is an unsung here for bone health. Studies have shown that it markedly improves calcium absorption and bone density. You can use fresh squeezed, for the best taste, or load up on calcium with a calcium-fortified variety. Orange juice is typically fortified with calcium citrate, which is more readily absorbed than the calcium in dairy milk.
- Tofu has been bashed over the years, but the anti-soy studies have nothing on this traditional food. Tofu is often set with calcium, and it also delivers a nice little dose of plant-based protein.
This kiwi smoothie recipe was originally shared with us in 2007 by the Kansas Soybean Board, but we’ve given this post a full refresh!
Special Diet Notes: Kiwi Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 medium ripe banana, peeled
- 1 medium kiwi, peeled
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 ounces silken tofu
- ½ crushed ice
- Put the banana, kiwi, orange juice, tofu, and ice in your blender and puree until smooth.