Crisps and crumbles are my all-time favorite desserts. There is just something about sweet crisp topping and baked fruit. Like most people, I typically use apples for the filling, but in summer, it’s nice to mix things up. With the season’s fresh fruit, you can make peach crisp, a strawberry rhubarb crumble, or this delicious mixed berry crumble.
Mixed Berry Crumble is the Dairy-Free Dessert Your Craving for Summer
This is a very cookie-like crumble, with a consistency that depends a bit on the dairy-free buttery sticks you use. Brands like Miyoko’s impart less salt and bake up more like shortening (slightly fluffier and less greasy), while brands like Earth Balance provides a little more crisp. You could also use palm shortening as a substitute.
If you want to use oil instead of buttery sticks, add it last. Whisk the brown sugar in with the flour mixture. Then add 1/2 cup oil and the vanilla and whisk to combine. Add more oil, as needed, to get thick, moist crumbles. Coconut oil is my favorite, because I like the way it firms up the crisp when chilled. But in a pinch, your favorite baking oil will work. The end texture will be a little different, but still delicious.
This Mixed Berry Crumble recipe with photo was shared with us by Culinary.net.
Special Diet Notes: Mixed Berry Crumble
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free mixed berry crumble, you can use your favorite gluten-fee flour blend, or simply use gluten-free oat flour. Adjust the flour amount up, if needed, to get the right crumble consistency.
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free buttery sticks (se post above for recommendations), softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dairy-Free ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In large bowl, stir together the strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Add the starch and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Refrigerate the mixture for 20 minutes.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beet the brown sugar, buttery sticks, and vanilla extract on medium speed with a mixer until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and blend, until crumbles form.
- Pour the berries into your prepared baking dish. Evenly top the berries with the crumbles.
- Bake the crumble for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve topped with dairy-free ice cream, if desired.