I love Mexican nights – from both a cooking and eating perspective. They’re quick to throw together, and have great build-your-own potential. These dairy-free, gluten-free mushroom beef tacos, for example, are easy to prep, fast to cook, and everyone can top them however they wish. You can even use the mushroom-beef blend to build burritos or bowls instead of tacos.
Mexican Mushroom Beef Tacos for Fast & Easy Allergy-Friendly Dinners
Mushrooms cook seamlessly into beef dishes, so even picky eaters won’t notice them. But they add to the rich flavor of the dish while providing micronutrients like selenium, B vitamins, and vitamin D. If you are allergic to beef, you can substitute ground turkey. The tacos will still be delicious! And if you’re vegan, try this homemade vegan ground beef instead.
These Mexican mushroom beef tacos are great for using pantry ingredients, including canned foods. But you can use fresh corn off the cob, if you have it on hand. You can even dice and crush your own tomatoes.
This mushroom beef tacos recipe with photo was shared with us by MushroomCouncil.com.
Special Diet Notes: Mexican Mushroom Beef Tacos
By ingredients this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 cup dairy-free sour cream (store-bought or homemade cashew sour cream)
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 ounces fresh button or crimini mushrooms
- 1 pound lean ground beef (can substitute ground turkey)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (11-ounce) can yellow kernel corn, drained
- 1 packet dairy-free taco seasoning mix or 2½ tablespoons homemade dairy-free taco seasoning
- Corn tortillas
- Optional Garnishes: diced avocado, shredded lettuce, sliced olives, dairy-free cheese shreds, and/or salsa
- In a small bowl, mix together the dairy-free sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a food processor, pulse the onion and mushrooms to coarse texture (or you can mince them by hand.
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef. Drain the fat, and remove the beef to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in the same frying pan. Add the mushroom-onion mixture and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, or until most moisture has been released.
- Stir the cooked beef, black beans, tomatoes, corn, and taco seasoning into the mushoom-onion mixture in your frying pan. Saute until heated through.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave or on the stove top according to package directions.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the mushroom-beef blend into each tortilla. Top with the dairy-free sour cream mixture and any of the optional garnishes.