I adore the tender crumb and warm flavor of homemade Pumpkin Nog Bread (wheat-based Vegan version here / Gluten-Free and Vegan version here), but a festive drizzle of homemade Nog icing takes it to a new level.
To keep it allergen-free, I use So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Nog, which has a surprisingly rich, sweet and authentic flavor. It shines through and lends a delicious touch to quick breads, cakes, donuts, and even cookies! Dunk or drizzle – the nog icing will start to set up in just a few minutes.
When dairy-free Nog is out of season, this icing can be transformed into a vanilla icing with the use of 1 to 2 tablespoons lite coconut milk (start with 1 tablespoon) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in its place.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Nog Icing
By ingredients, this recipe is naturally dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian. For those concerned about beet sugar / GMOs and non-vegan sugar, I recommend using organic powdered sugar.
Using a touch of non-hydrogenated, dairy-free margarine (I use Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Spread) compliments and enhances the flavor of this nog icing while tempering the sugar. If preferred, you can substitute coconut oil or palm shortening plus a pinch of salt.
For a discount on dairy-free Nog or lite coconut milk (to make the vanilla version), you can print this coupon
- 1 cup powdered confectioner's sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 to 6 teaspoons dairy-free Nog (I use So Delicious Dairy Free Nog)
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine (see post above for more options)
- Sift the sugar and nutmeg into a medium-sized bowl.
- Heat 4 teaspoons of the Nog with the margarine, in a saucepan or in the microwave (about 30 seconds) until melted and warm.
- Whisk the Nog-margarine mixture into the powdered sugar until smooth. It should be a little thick but drizzly. If needed, whisk in up to 2 teaspoons more of the Nog (warmed), to get the right consistency.
- Drizzle over your baked good or dip the top of the baked good in the icing and set right side up to set. The icing will set / harden as it cools.
Pingback: Vegan Pumpkin Nog Bread Recipe (Dairy-, Egg-, Nut-Free)- Go Dairy Free
Pingback: Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free Pumpkin Nog Bread Recipe - Go Dairy Free