I like to make my own dairy-free onion soup mix for cost, convenience, and quality control. It works well in various recipes, from dips to entrée seasoning, but our favorite use is in Swistle’s Soup, otherwise known as Mom’s Best Turkey Vegetable Soup.
This Dairy-Free Onion Soup Mix is Essential for Your Pantry
There are some brands of dairy-free onion soup mix on the market, but there are also some, like Knorr, that contain milk. Rather than hunt around for small packets that fit our dietary needs, I like to make my own in bulk!
The biggest wild card with dairy-free onion soup mix is the bouillon powder. Many brands do contain milk. We’ve recommended a few options in our best dairy-free broth post, but I’ll share a couple more here.
- Knorr – Although Knorr onion soup mix contains milk, many of the Knorr bouillon powders do not. This includes their Basic Beef Bouillon, Natural Beef Bouillon, Zero Salt Beef Bouillon, Selects Beef Bouillon, and even the bulk Professional Bouillon.
- Herb-Ox – This Hormel brand is readily available in many stores, and both the regular Beef Bouillon and the Sodium-Free version are dairy-free. The latter is even soy-free and top allergen-free.
- Massel – Technically, you can use any vegan bouillon powder in this recipe. But our favorite brand is Massel. They even have a Beef-Style Bouillon.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Onion Soup Mix
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and optionally vegetarian. Just be sure to select the bouillon that meats your dietary needs. See above for our suggestions.
- ¼ cup dairy-free beef bouillon powder or vegan option (see post above for suggestions)
- ¾ cup dried minced onion
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the bouillon powder, minced onion, onion powder, sugar, and pepper until combined and all clumps are broken up.
- Store the mix in an airtight container in your pantry. It will keep for several months.
Makes four ¼ cup servings.
Each serving is equal to one packet of onion soup mix.