Coated and baked chicken breasts have become a healthier American classic, but they’re often made with several top allergens. Fortunately, this delicious oven-fried chicken recipe is naturally dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free. And it can also be made gluten-free if you wish!
This recipe was originally shared with us about five years ago, but today I’m giving this oven-fried chicken recipe post a big update. I have also added some tips and serving suggestions.
Oven-Fried Chicken for an Easy Allergy-Friendly Entree
There are so many ways to enjoy this dairy-free oven-fried chicken. Here are over a dozen ideas for your inspiration.
- Serve it as a main with a melange of Roasted Winter Vegetables.
- Serve it with a side salad and Roasted Sweet Potatoes.
- Top it with Marinara Sauce or my easy Tomato Cream Sauce and serve with Cooked Rice and Broccoli or Asparagus.
- Pair it with a Baked Potato or Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes and some Peas and Carrots, and pour on the Dairy-Free Gravy.
- Slice it and serve atop a Fresh Salad, like Dairy-Free Caesar Salad or Massaged Kale Salad.
- Chop it and stir it in pasta salad, like my Ranch Pasta Salad or Greek Pasta Salad.
- Slice and serve it on my Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, Creamy Pasta Primavera, or Vodka Penne. You can add some spinach to either for greens.
- Pair it with a Warm Winter Pilaf.
- Serve it bowl style with my Moroccan Roasted Veggie Bowls or Hollandaise Quinoa Bowls.
Special Diet Notes: Allergy-Friendly Oven-Fried Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
Gluten-free / Egg-free Note: A lot of dairy-free, gluten-free bagels are made with eggs. If you have trouble finding bagels that meet all of your dietary needs, you can substitute 6 to 8 slices of allergy-friendly bread.
- 3 plain bagels (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (can sub another starch)
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (4 pieces total; see Chicken Tip below)
- Split the bagels in half. Let them dry out overnight or preheat your oven to 200°F. Place the bagels on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bagels are crunchy. Let cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375°F and grease a shallow baking pan.
- Place the dried bagels in a food processor or blender and blend into fine crumbs. If you prefer, some larger pieces can be left (about pea-size) for added texture.
- Pour the crumb mixture into a bowl and add the poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the oil and stir until the crumbs are well coated.
- Place the crumb mixture in a shallow pan or plate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water and tapioca starch until the starch is dissolved.
- Dip the chicken into the tapioca mixture, letting any extra drip off. Roll the chicken in the crumb mixture until coated. Place the coated chicken pieces in your prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear. The internal temperature should be a minimum of 165°F.