Coated and baked chicken breasts have become a healthier American classic, but they’re often made with several top allergens. This delicious oven-fried chicken recipe is naturally free of dairy, egg, and nuts, and it can be made without gluten if you wish!
Serve this chicken as a simple main, or slice it to top your favorite salad, pasta, or rice bowl. When it’s warm out, we like it on this Pesto Hummus Pasta Salad, Ranch Pasta Salad, or Arugula Strawberry Salad. When the weather is cooler, enjoy it with this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, Moroccan Roasted Veggie Bowls, or Hollandaise Quinoa Bowls.
Special Diet Notes: Allergy-Friendly Oven-Free Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
Please note that a lot of dairy-free, gluten-free bagels are made with eggs. If you have trouble finding bagels that meet all of your dietary needs, you can substitute 6 to 8 slices of allergy-friendly bread.
- 3 plain bagels (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (can sub another starch)
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (4 pieces total)
- Split bagels in half. Dry out bagels. Let them air out over night or heat in the oven. For the oven method, preheat oven to 200°F. Place bagels on cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until bagels are crunchy. Let cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F and grease a shallow baking pan.
- Place the dried bagels in a food processor or blender and blend into fine crumbs. If you prefer, some larger pieces can be left (about pea-size) for added texture.
- Pour crumb mixture into a bowl and add the poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the oil and stir until the crumbs are well coated.
- Place the crumb mixture in a shallow pan or plate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water and tapioca starch until the starch is dissolved.
- Dip the chicken into the tapioca mixture, letting any extra drip off. Roll the chicken in the crumb mixture until coated. Place the coated chicken pieces in your prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear. The internal temperature should be a minimum of 165°F. Enjoy!