This simple, beloved dairy-free Parmesan recipe was shared here on Go Dairy Free way back in 2006. Leah decided to give it whirl, and took these beautiful photos while she was at it. She said, “It’s so simple but so good!”
Over the years I’ve made many variations on this easy, 3-ingredient dairy-free Parmesan. But it should be noted that every nut or seed has its own nuances. Swapping in a different nut or seed for the almonds will yield a different flavor, so keep your preferences in mind if you go that route! For example, as much as I love cashews, I often find them a little too naturally sweet in this recipe.
That said, other seasonings can make a great addition to this recipe. Sometimes I add a little onion powder and/or garlic powder (to taste) for more depth in flavor.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Dairy-Free Parmesan
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 cup "raw" almonds, blanched and peeled (see note below)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- If blanching and peeling your own almonds, pat the almonds dry to remove excess moisture.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or spice grinder, and blend into a fine meal.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month for optimal freshness. It can also be frozen.