Honestly, I’d never thought to make popcorn crispy treats, until I saw this super cute spider web creation for Halloween. But they are just as tasty and versatile as the old-school rice crispy version. You can top with sprinkles, drizzle melted dairy-free chocolate on top, or just enjoy them as is.
Easy Popcorn Crispy Treats with Options for Every Occasion
We have a few quick notes in FAQ format for these sweet popcorn crispy treats.
How Many Mini Marshmallows are in a Bag?
One 10-ounce bag of marshmallows contains about 5 1/2 cups. You can use the whole bag in these popcorn crispy treats – it will just make them a touch more gooey. We don’t think that’s a bad thing.
What are Vegan Marshmallows?
Marshmallows contain gelatin. I you shun gelatin, Dandies Vegan Marshmallows are the most popular brand. But please note that vegan brands of marshmallows often contain soy protein.
Can I Use Microwave Popcorn?
That is totally up to you. I’ll be honest, I really don’t like microwave popcorn. Air popped tastes so fresh and crispy. But if you’re a microwave popper, have at it!
Can I Use Salted Popcorn?
The recipe is for plain, air-popped popcorn with nothing added. But if you’ve drizzled on a little butter or coconut oil, or sprinkled with a little salt, I don’t think it will hurt!
What is Dairy-Free Chocolate?
Chocolate is naturally dairy free, but many brands add milk-based ingredients to chocolate. This is especially true with mainstream brands. For recipes, I often lean on Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, but you can see our Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips Guide for more options.
Special Diet Notes: Popcorn Crispy Treats
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free peanut-free, soy-free optionally vegan and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup dairy-free butter alternative or 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 cups mini marshmallows (use vegan, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups plain popped popcorn
- Line a round pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter alternative or oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly for 3 to 4 minutes, or until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla.
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the popcorn until evenly coated.
- Spread the sticky popcorn onto your prepared pizza pan about 1 inch thick, using a piece of plastic wrap or parchment to prevent sticking. If making the spider web option below, make it an irregular round shape.
- Let it set up, or refrigerate for 15 minutes to speed up the process.
More Sweet Ways to Enjoy Popcorn
Caramel Popcorn Clusters
Crisp Apple Cinnamon Popcorn
Popcorn Christmas Trees