Why bake a whole pie when you can sip on this 5-minute, dairy-free pumpkin nog? It’s sweet, rich, and oh-so-creamy. And the recipe is optionally vegan and allergy-friendly.
Recipe Tips: Dairy-Free Pumpkin Nog
Not a Coconut Fan? You can substitute the lite coconut milk with your favorite dairy-free milk beverage, but the finish won’t be quite as rich. If possible, I would use a natural, rich nut milk beverage or Nice Nut Creamer from Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook (page 188). Or if you are okay with soy, you can blend in one (12-ounce) package of soft silken tofu in place of the lite coconut milk.
Sweeten as You Wish. The original recipe uses honey, but we think maple syrup or brown sugar are pretty tasty alternatives. We do agree that the dairy-free ice cream alone isn’t enough to sweeten this indulgent sipper, but you can adjust the sweetener up or down to suit your taste.
Toppings are Optional. The classic nog topper is simply a few grates of fresh nutmeg (which isn’t technically a tree nut!). But you can’t go wrong with a garnish of whip. See our Complete Guide to Dairy-Free Whipped Topping for ideas.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Pumpkin Nog
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian. Just make sure you pick a dairy-free ice cream that fits your dietary needs.
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (14-ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (for strictly vegan), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint dairy-free vanilla ice cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rum, bourbon, or brandy or 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- Dairy-free whip topping, for garnish (optional)
- Grated nutmeg, for garnish (optional)
- Put the pumpkin, coconut milk, sweetener, cinnamon, and vanilla in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the ice cream and rum and blend until combined.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with whip and/or nutmeg, if desired.