Earlier this week, I shared a wonderful, vegetable-dense recipe for Rustic Ratatouille. That dish is great on its own, or atop grains, but it’s also delicious in omelets! These dairy-free ratatouille omelets make a wonderful breakfast or brunch, and are actually quite easy to make. Omelets themselves are often dairy-free, but restaurants sometimes add milk, cook them in butter, and/or stuff them with copious amounts of cheese. But at home, you’re in control.
Dairy-Free Ratatouille Omelets for a Healthy, Flavorful Brunch
Omelets are a special dish for Easter or Sunday brunch, and they’re naturally rich in dairy-free protein. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
You can omit the cheese alternative in this dish, or simply use your favorite one. For store-bought, we like Feta alternatives, like Follow Your Heart Feta Crumbles or Violife Feta. For homemade, we like cashew cheeses like this Dairy-Free Goat Cheese Alternative. But you can use your favorite shreds or even a cheesy sauce, if desired. The flavor profile is quite forgiving.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Ratatouille Omelets
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, added sugar-free, and paleo-friendly. It might also be suitable for some keto diets.
- 6 large egg whites
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups ratatouille
- ¼ cup crumbled or shredded dairy-free cheese alternative (optional; see post above)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- If using leftover ratatouille, reheat it in a pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until heated through.
- Preheat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat and grease it with oil or cooking spray. Add ½ cup egg mixture and cook for 1 minute, or until the eggs begin to set. Lift the edges of the omelet with rubber spatula as it cooks, allowing uncooked eggs to run underneath. Cook the omelet for 2 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Add ½ cup ratatouille and 1 tablespoon cheese alternative down the center of the omelet. Fold one side of the omelet towards the center, over the ratatouille, then tilt the pan to roll omelet, seam side down, onto plate. Repeat this step 3 times, greasing the pan between each omelet.