Basic dairy-free rice crispy treats really are easy. They require just a simple ingredient swap for spot on results. The photo below was shared with us by Toonie Moonie, the makers of the first Certified Organic Marshmallow Creme. They used to make quite a few flavors, but those have been discontinued. Fortunately, their classic marshmallow creme lives on.
The recipe below includes options for using marshmallows or marshmallow creme. Just be sure to pick a brand that works best for your dietary needs. And if you are gluten-free, look for rice crispy cereal that is certified gluten-free.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Rice Crispy Treats
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and optionally soy-free.
For vegan rice crispy treats, you can substitute vegan marshmallows. They aren’t spot on, but do work.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or dairy-free buttery spread (see note below)
- 1 (10-ounce) package marshmallows or 1 (7-ounce) container marshmallow crème
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- Grease or line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil or buttery spread in a large pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows or marshmallow creme and stir until the mixture is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cereal and stir until well combined. Work quickly as the mixture starts to set up as it cools.
- Scrape the mixture into your prepared baking dish and use a piece of wax or parchment paper to firmly and evenly press it in.
- Let cool before cutting it into 2-inch squares.