Basic dairy-free rice crispy treats really are easy. They require just a simple ingredient swap from the original Rice Krispies treats for spot on results. The recipe below includes options for using marshmallows or marshmallow creme. Just be sure to pick a brand that works best for your dietary needs. And if you are gluten-free, look for rice crispy cereal that is certified gluten-free.
The photo above was shared with us by Toonie Moonie, the makers of the first Certified Organic Marshmallow Creme. They used to make quite a few flavors, but those have been discontinued. Fortunately, their classic marshmallow creme lives on.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Rice Crispy Treats
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and optionally soy-free. For vegan rice crispy treats, see the option in the recipe notes.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or dairy-free buttery spread (see note below)
- 1 (10-ounce) package marshmallows or 1 (7-ounce) container marshmallow crème
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- Grease or line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil or buttery spread in a large pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows or marshmallow creme and stir until the mixture is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cereal and stir until well combined. Work quickly as the mixture starts to set up as it cools.
- Scrape the mixture into your prepared baking dish and use a piece of wax or parchment paper to firmly and evenly press it in.
- Let cool before cutting it into 2-inch squares.
Vegan Option: Substitute vegan marshmallows for the regular marshmallows, and if using buttery spread, increase it to ¼ cup.