Basic dairy-free rice crispy treats really are easy. They require just a simple ingredient swap from the original Rice Krispies treats for spot on results. The recipe below includes options for using marshmallows or marshmallow creme. Just be sure to pick a brand that works best for your dietary needs. And if you are gluten-free, look for rice crispy cereal that is certified gluten-free.
The photo above was shared with us by Toonie Moonie, the makers of the first Certified Organic Marshmallow Creme. They used to make quite a few flavors, but those have been discontinued. Fortunately, their classic marshmallow creme lives on.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Rice Crispy Treats
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and optionally soy-free. For vegan rice crispy treats, see the option in the recipe notes.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or dairy-free buttery spread (see note below)
- 1 (10-ounce) package marshmallows or 1 (7-ounce) container marshmallow crème
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- Grease or line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil or buttery spread in a large pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows or marshmallow creme and stir until the mixture is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cereal and stir until well combined. Work quickly as the mixture starts to set up as it cools.
- Scrape the mixture into your prepared baking dish and use a piece of wax or parchment paper to firmly and evenly press it in.
- Let cool before cutting it into 2-inch squares.
Vegan Option: Substitute vegan marshmallows for the regular marshmallows, and if using buttery spread, increase it to ¼ cup.
How long would you say to let it cool? Also when is the optimal time to add in chocolate chips (non-dairy of course) so that they don’t melt too much?
Before you add the chocolate chips, I would let the mixture cool for 5 to 10 minutes. How long the bars take to cool completely is hard to say. It doesn’t usually take long though. Maybe 15 to 20 minutes?
Hi..I used butter flavoured coconut oil and they were delicious!
Thank you for sharing!
That’s great, thanks for sharing!
I had better luck when I added 4T of Earth Balance. I only did 3 T on the first batch and it was a solid mess. The extra Tablespoon made it possible to mix in the cereal. I made a bunch of batches and found that to work. I also put holiday sprinkles on top! Thanks!
I bet they looked wonderful! Thanks Annie.