This dairy-free rum or brandy caramel sauce was shared with us by kosher chef Levana Kirschenbaum, a long time friend of Go Dairy Free. She skips adding butter or oil of any kind, and uses her own distinct blend of sweeteners. She also likes to spike this vegan-friendly caramel sauce with brandy or rum for more depth in flavor. But if needed, you can skip the boozy addition.
Special Diet Notes: Rum or Brandy Caramel Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, oil-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup sucanat (can sub evaporated cane juice or brown sugar)
- ½ cup agave nectar
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons brandy or rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Put the sucanat, agave nectar, and water in a small saucepan, and bring the mixture to a boil, while stirring.
- When it reaches a boil, stop stirring, and cook over low heat until thick and deep amber in color, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coocnut milk, brandy or rum, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Carefully stir the coconut milk mixture into the mixture in your saucepan, to avoid splattering. Cook, while whisking, for another 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Transfer the dairy-free caramel sauce to a glass jar, and keep refrigerated. It will thicken as it cools.