I love classic dairy-free stuffing, but sometimes it’s fun to up your game a notch. This flavorful version is spiked with tart apples, crunchy pecans, and rich Italian sausage (with vegan option). For a shortcut, it uses herb-seasoned stuffing cubes. Surprisingly, many brands are egg-free and dairy-free, like Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Mix and Arrowhead Mills Organic Savory Herb Stuffing Mix.
This dairy-free stuffing recipe with photo was shared with us by americanpecan.com.
Special Diet Notes: Stuffing with Pecans, Apples, and Sausage
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and optionally soy-free.
For vegan and vegetarian stuffing, you can substitute vegan Italian sausage.
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or pecan oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces dairy-free herb-seasoned cubed stuffing
- 2 cups tart apples, chopped
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 1 to 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a large casserole dish or 9x13-inch pan.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage, breaking it into crumbles. Drain the sausage on paper towels and discard any excess grease.
- Heat the olive or pecan oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onions starting to soften and are fragrant.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage, onion mixture, stuffing cubes, apples, and pecans.
- Add 1 cup of broth and stir to combine. If the stuffing mixture is too dry, add up to ½ cup of additional broth, but be careful not to add too much liquid. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Transfer the stuffing to your prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.