Every year, a new dietary trend takes center stage. And this year, so many of you are clamoring for sugar-free everything! Keto became a buzzword last year, but that extremely low carb diet is often dairy heavy. Fortunately, there are lots of delicious ways to enjoy something sweet sans sugar and dairy. This dairy-free, sugar-free chocolate avocado mousse, for example, is a quick and easy fix to satisfy rich and creamy dessert cravings.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse to Whip Up for Sugar-Free Dessert
There are many low carb desserts out there, but most contain dairy. This creamy mousse is dairy-free and uses sugar alternatives to keep the sugars down. I do have some tips on the ingredients to help you locate them, and substitute if needed.
Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Chocolate Avocado Mousse Ingredient Tips
Avocados – Make sure you use very ripe avocados with no bruising. They should still give just a bit when touched.
Coconut Milk – Use full-fat canned coconut milk for the creamiest results. Coconut milk beverage is much thinner and will produce more of a pudding. If using full-fat coconut milk, you can refrigerate the mousse for 1 to 4 hours. It will thicken.
Chocolate Chips – Unlike unsweetened chocolate chips, sugar-free chocolate chips are sweetened with a sugar-free sweetener. Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips are the most popular dairy-free, sugar-free brand, but we have more options in our Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Guide.
Sugar Substitutes – Pure stevia is way too strong at that quantity. You need to use a prepared version that made for substitutions, or simply add it to taste. You might opt for an Erythritol-Stevia Blend to cover both ingredients, or you can just use one sugar substitute to taste. Many people like Swerve.
Low Sugar instead of Sugar-Free? – If you simply want to reduce sugars, but don’t need sugar-free, you can substitute any of the sugar-free sweeteners with your favorite sweetener. You can also use regular, dairy-free dark chocolate chips.
This dairy-free, sugar-free Chocolate Avocado Mousse recipe with photo was shared with us by Atkins.com.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Avocado Mousse
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, sugar-free, low carb, and keto-friendly.
- 3 avocados
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar-free dairy-free chocolate chips (like Lily's Dark)
- 2½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons erythritol sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon stevia-based sugar substitute (not pure stevia)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Mash avocado and place in blender with coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate chips.
- Add the melted chocolate chips to the avocado mixture and continue to blend while scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder, sugar substitutes, vanilla, and salt. Blend and scrape down sides of bowl until all ingredients are well combined and mousse is smooth and creamy. Add additional sugar substitute ¼ teaspoon at a time if sweeter dairy-free mousse is desired.
- Enjoy immediately or cover and let thicken in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.